Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi has clarified that he has not yet approved the proposed expansion of the Nairobi–Nakuru highway, despite growing public interest in the multi-billion-shilling project.
Speaking on Citizen TV on Thursday, August 28, Mbadi said discussions on the 175-kilometre Rironi–Mau Summit road are at an advanced stage but stressed that his final approval is still pending.
“The procurement process is ongoing. If I make my comments here and I am supposed to give my approval, then I would be biased. I know the procurement process is on,” Mbadi said.
The project, estimated at Ksh200 billion, is structured as a Public-Private Partnership (PPP). Proposals have been submitted by two firms, including the China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC), which has partnered with the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) in a joint bid.
“It is a PPP project, and NSSF was partnering with China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC). If this joint venture between CRBC has won it, then be it. I want to see the documents for approval,” Mbadi added.
The planned expansion is expected to decongest traffic and boost trade along one of Kenya’s busiest transport corridors, which also links the country to regional markets.
Last week, the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) launched stakeholder engagement meetings in Kiambu, Nyandarua, and Nakuru counties. The sessions, running from September 2 to 8, aim to brief stakeholders on the PPP approach, gather public input, and address early concerns over implementation.